Friday, June 19, 2009

clandestino shopping

Being the mother of an infant doesn't allow many opportunities to do any sustained work. My thesis is, of course, on hold and I don't know when I'll be able to start picking up research/writing contracts again. But I am not letting baby stop me from an exciting career as a mystery shopper.

Well okay, it may not exactly be a career - and doesn't provide for much more than my coffee budget - but it's a fun way to earn a bit of cash and get out of the house.

As a mystery shopper, I am paid by a company to go to certain stores, at certain hours, act as a regular customer and then complete an evaluation of my experience. At some stores I'm allowed to make purchases and be reimburse - my favourite ones are chocolate shops which for some reason I get assigned to fairly often. I also got to take the entrance exam for an MBA - which I was to purposefully fail and did not have to complete. Today I have to go to a paint store and see how helpful the salespeople will be. I don't actually have to buy any paint, but since eventually we are going to be painting the basement, this is a good opportunity to get some colour ideas. And hey, I get to practice my covert skills in case one day I get called into the secret service.

1 comment:

  1. If you need to secret shop at a golf store, I have a list....

    ReplyDelete