Sunday, January 30, 2011

Inspiring yarn geniuses

We interrupt this series to bring you some breaking news from the world of creative knitters and urban yarn graffiti.

The first is the Beardo – a toque which has a knitted beard attached to it by Velcro (thanks for the tip, Doug). Not surprisingly, this creation is from a Canadian: Jeff Phillips, although apparently he’s not the knitter, just the creator.

Phillips is quoted as explaining that, “Some people wear the Beardo so they can experience the joy of facial hair.” Maybe I should get one for my husband who complains because I won’t let him grow a beard. With a Beardo he could “experience the joy of facial hair”, but take it off before he kisses me. And be extra warm in the winter too. Brilliant.

I was trying to think of a woman’s equivalent for the Beardo – not to say that women can’t wear the Beardo of course; more power to those who embrace their furry side. Perhaps a toque with long braids or a lush ponytail? I was going to try to make one before doing this post, but realized that would just delay this indefinitely.

The other important news is this stunning urban yarn graffiti I read about in yesterday’s Globe and Mail. Olek is a Polish-born crochet artist. She takes yarn graffiti to a whole other level – such as covering the Wall Street bull in New York. She crochets complete rooms, costumes, walls, floors.

She is currently doing an artist’s residency in New York where she “can be found ... with a pile of movies to watch, and a bottle of spiced Polish vodka, aggressively re-weaving the world as she sees fit!” She truly amazes me – although I can’t say I’m too fond of the title of her current exhibit – “Knitting is for Pus****”.

Olek likens her crocheting to madness. I’ve always thought of knitting as my yoga or a pseudo mediation. But then again, I’m not a prolific, internationally recognized artist. Maybe I should let my knitting become my madness, abandon child, husband and work for the pursuit of knitted inspiration...

Or maybe I’ll just stick to my placid little knitting and admire the mad geniuses from afar. Chapeau!

No comments:

Post a Comment