Thursday, February 17, 2011

Defended!

So the defence went as well as it could. I had about 10 minutes to present my thesis. I was asked questions by the two members of my committee. For all the formality of the defence, the questioning was quite informal – more like a discussion than a firing squad.

The funny part was that I forgot to invite people to this defence. So it if hadn’t been for a friend who happened to be in town, and who V happened to think about inviting this morning, V would have been the only person at my defence who as not required to be there. It was strange to be in a large room set up with seating for about 20 and have only 2 guests. But this added to the informality and ease of it all.

It almost seemed like we should have been doing the whole thing over coffee – with such a small gathering (8 people in total), it seemed odd to be seated alone at a table facing a practically empty room.

After all the questions my committee left the room for about 10 minutes. When they came back, the chair announced that my thesis was accepted without revisions, given the highest mark, recommended for a prize and for publication. This doesn’t mean that I will get a prize or get published, just that they recommend it. Feels very good.

And as you can see from the photo, there was quite the spread laid out – fruit and cheese platters, crackers and 3 bottles of wine! Everyone sampled and sipped a little as we stood around talking afterward. But given that it wasn’t yet noon, we were all quite restrained.

Afterward V and I went for a lovely lunch at Domus, where it was nice to see old co-workers and my former manager – and to enjoy the complimentary glasses of bubbly sent to our table. I think over lunch it was finally sinking in that I really did get the best outcome I could have hoped for with my thesis. After all this time, it was a very nice way to finish.

But now I must say I mostly feel tired. Heading off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! You put a ton of work into this, and deserve all the praise.

    Does this mean your other blog is now MamaMiyaMA ?

    ReplyDelete