Friday, February 25, 2011

Ode to our public library

I heard today on CBC’s Q that some libraries are moving away from the Dewey Decimal system and arranging their books more like a book store – under categories such as ‘in the news’ or ‘modern fiction’. Perhaps one day all libraries will be virtual and we will just log on to some site that allows us to download books or, in exceptional cases, to pick up a hard copy at some central location.

If such a day comes, I think it would be a real loss. M and I often go to the library on Fridays and our visits are about much more than simply getting something new to read.

Today I picked up a book I had requested that was waiting for me, saw a book on display that I’ve been curious about for some time – Lady Chatterley’s Lover – and grabbed it too. Then M and I went to the children’s section where we take off our coats and stay awhile. There are board puzzles to do, hand puppets (today she brought me a black dog, a zebra and a grey owl) , a rocking chair and couches to read on, tables to colour and puzzle at... all in all a fantastic place to spend some time on a Friday afternoon.

M is very much into her alphabet these days – she can identify all the letters and recite the whole alphabet (although LMNO is rather garbled). So it isn’t surprising that second to books on penguins, she is most interested in books on the alphabet. And so my 22-month old knows that A is for anhinga (and yes, she can identify the bird), anteater, aardvark, alligator and apple (of course). I could go on. The vocabulary she is acquiring through all these alphabet books is quite impressive (i.e. gallinule, hummingbird, newt, flamingo).

It’s been fun rediscovering the public library with my daughter. Sure, I’ve used the library for years – taking out occasional books of fiction, knitting or home improvement guides. But it was usually pretty much in and out.

Now we spend time at the library. I talk with other patrons. I chat with the librarians. It’s becoming a valuable part of my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment