Monday, November 21, 2011

Top 10 meals in a hurry (2)

Yesterday I started blogging about my favourite 10 easy meals. I was thinking afterward that for anyone who knows me, it might seem rather ridiculous for me to be offering cooking advice. If I do have any talents, cooking is not among them.

But then again, this may be precisely a good reason for me to put out these recipes. Surely there are others out there like me in this regard – busy people who want to eat healthy, balanced meals but don’t really have the inspiration or inclination for fancy cooking. And it helps me just to write these down – so that the next time I’m hungry and uninspired at 7 p.m., I can look back at what I’ve written and be reminded of some of the easy options I have.

And I'd certainly love to hear of other healthy, easy, quick vegetarian dinner ideas!

3) Fried Rice
This one requires having a bunch of left-over cooked rice – which if I have, I’ll combine with sautéed onions, peppers, garlic, ginger and whatever veggies I have on hand (i.e. zucchini, peas, corn). I’ll usually mix a bit of sesame oil in with the peanut oil I use for the sauté – love that smell and flavour – and toss in some soya sauce when I add the rice. After the rice has heated, I’ll push it to one side of the pan and crack an egg, scramble that up and mix it all together. Done. (As an added bonus, this one goes over really well with Miya.)

4) Soup
Way back in January, I blogged the recipe for my favourite veggie soup – this is still a go-to dish, although no two versions turn out exactly alike. Maybe that’s what keeps me coming back. That and nothing beats a bowl of fresh, hearty soup when the weather is cold.

5) Quinoa Salad
I was guilty of making this one a little too often this summer. I’d cook up a bunch of quinoa – and, once it was close to room temperature, mix it in with random salad goodies like red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, fresh spinach... Tossed with Italian dressing or vinaigrette it was ready to serve in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment