Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Top 10 meals in a hurry (3)

Finishing up with the easy-meal series - and seriously, would welcome suggestions from any of you out there.

6) Fresh-mozza risotto & baked squash
This recipe may be pushing it in terms of the amount of time required – but it is super easy and requires almost no advance prep.

First I’ll chop a squash in half and shove it into the oven to bake; then I’ll get going on the risotto.

Fry some shallots in butter and olive oil, add a couple cups or arborio rice. When the rice is translucent, add a cup of white wine. After this has been absorbed, dump in a cup of tomato sauce and some soup stock. Keep cooking, adding ladles full of liquid stock as needed until the rice is cooked – then fold in some fresh basil, grated parmesan and a cup of fresh mozzarella. Serve with the buttered & peppered squash.

7) Homemade pizzas
I cheat with this one by using store-bought pizza crusts and sauce, but for an easy, flexible meal, it’s hard to beat. V can add sausage or whatever meaty bits he wants to his, I can load mine up with feta. Tonight I also added leftover steamed broccoli from M’s dinner, some fresh spinach, and red pepper. Easy and quick.

8) Pasta and tomato sauce
One of my standard quick meals is pasta and tomato vegetable sauce. I’m not particularly proud of this since it’s a lot of cheap, refined carbs. But I do load up my sauce with lots of fresh veggies – especially onions, garlic, peppers, zucchini and spinach. Lately I’ve also been throwing in a can of chickpeas for the protein. Top with some cheese and it’s practically respectable enough to serve.

9) Burritos and rice
This is another recipe that calls of leftover rice – which fortunately we often tend to have. Basically it involves cooking up some beans with onions, garlic and seasonings to give it a bit of a Latin flair. Get some tortillas and roll up the rice with beans, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, etc...

10) Brownies

Not really a meal – but I do have a great recipe that is quick and easy. Chocolate fix in minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment