Saturday, December 24, 2011

Twas the Night before Christmas (retold)

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the houses
Women were bustling and nagging their spouses
Cookies were baking, turkeys were roasting
There was still much to do before the dinner we’re hosting.

The children had finally been coaxed to their beds
With wish-lists for Christmas rattling ‘round in their heads.
I with my to-do list had just send my man
To rush to the store for a bigger roasting pan

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
I sprang to the door to see what was the matter
In the cold night of winter as I opened the door
Frosty air swirled around where I stood on the floor

Street lights on the crest of the new-fallen snow
Sparkled and glistened as though the ground was aglow
And what to my wondering eye should appear
But a Cadillac sedan with red shiny veneer

With a little old driver, so lively and quick
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick!
My, the times are a-changing, I mused to myself
As he climbed out of his car with the aid of an elf

He was dressed all in fur, from his tips to his toes
With a chuckle of laughter, he struck a comical pose
As a bundle of gifts he pulled from the trunk
Some tumbled to the ground with a resounding clunk

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his task
What I had been baking he didn’t bother to ask

With a nod of his head and a wink of his eye
All cooking was finished, dishes washed and dried
At our Christmas tree then he scattered some presents
And filled all the stockings with wondrous contents

I offered him milk, but he chuckled in decline
And instead offered me a bottle of wine.
With a nod and smile, he turned to depart
And I thanked him profusely, with my hand on my heart

Then I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

No comments:

Post a Comment